Thursday, August 4, 2011

Emily's Fortune

I really like the author Phyllis Reynolds Naylor and I usually love stories that are set in the Wild West, so I was very excited to read the Rhode Island Children's Book Award nominee Emily's Fortune. I just finished it today and I was not disappointed!

This book is about an orphan named Emily who is trying to make it to her Aunt's house before either her greedy Uncle Victor or a group of orphan catchers can catch her first. Along the way she makes friends with another orphan named Jackson who helps her along the way. The story is filled with exciting twists and kept me eager to keep going at the end of every chapter.

My favorite thing about Emily's Fortune was the friendship between Emily and Jackson. Jackson was a very loyal and kind friend to Emily when she did not have any one else to count on. I particularly liked the part when he helped her learn to climb trees. I have always liked to climb trees, but I am very bad at it. I get very nervous, confused and clumsy, with lots of close calls just like Emily did at first. The difference between Emily and me is that she actually got better because Jackson helped her, and I'm still a terrible climber!

If you have read Emily's Fortune, post a comment and tell us: what in tumblin' tarnation did you like best about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment