Friday, July 3, 2015

Happy 4th of July!

Libraries are . . . essential to the functioning of a democratic society . . .libraries are the great symbols of the freedom of the mind.- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Our public libraries are one thing that makes me proud to live in America!  Libraries provide everyone - everyone! - with free access to information and books, services to help them learn and grow as people, and fun programs for kids and adults alike.

Several students have been taking advantage of this wonderful service by visiting the Jesse Smith Library to get a jump on our Week 5 Library Challenge.  Here are some of their stories:

Jackson L. from SFE says: 

My trip to the library was fun. I got my own library card from the library. The Librarian that got me my card was very nice. We got to look at new books. I even got a pencil that says “I love Jesse Smith Library” and I got a reading log that says “every hero has a story”. I learned I could return my library books even to a Providence library or any in the state, but Jesse Smith is closer. I rode the elevator to the second floor. We found Ms. Robin, did you know there was two Ms. Robins that work at the library. Anyway, Ms. Robin showed us around and then helped me look for the books that I checked out from the library. It took like a second the check out my books. The librarian said the requirement was to return the books by July 15th, that’s 3 weeks. I checked out “Henry and Mudge and the Sneaky Cracker” by Cynthia Rylant; “A Fly Went By” by Mike McClintock; and I got “Frog and Toad Are Friends” by Arnold Lobel. That was the most fun library of all, except when I went there in 1st grade. I look forward to my next visit in three weeks. 

Alex V. from WLC says: 

I went to the library with my Nannie and my brother. I was able to show my Nannie around since she had never been there before. I showed her that the library had an elevator so she didn't have to use the stairs. I also showed her that there was a Lego Club there. I have joined the Lego Club in the past and I had made a cowboy saloon. I am looking forward to doing the Lego Club again this summer. I am thinking of making a house on fire and the firemen are coming to help the people out of the house. I love Legos and I was able to find the," Lego ideas Book", so I can build what I want. I was able to check out my book with my library card and the librarian was very nice to me. I am looking forward to going back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment